WordPress is a well-known platform used by occasional bloggers to large corporate websites. It powers over 40% of websites on the internet – you read it right, over 40%. It is known for its flexibility and as well as its expandability. WordPress can be used as a blog, business website, news and media website, membership website, eCommerce and more, which shows how flexible and advanced it can be. There are tons and tons of plugins to add and expand the features that one might need in the website. So the question – is it a right fit for your business website? What are the pros and cons of using WordPress as a platform for the website?
- Ease to use: One of the factors that contributed to the popularity of WordPress is its ease of use. It would be a liw to say It cannot be overwhelming in the beginning, once you take a few minutes to familiarize yourself, it is easy and fun to use, plus you do not need to know everything in the dashboard. Some things are better left to the developer or IT team, adding or removing content is pretty easy.
- Flexibility: WordPress uses plugins to add functionalities, which makes it very flexible. You can find a plugin for almost every feature you want on your website. Want to have a forum on the website? Turn it into social media or want to sell products? Whatever you can think of, it’s possible. If there’s not already a plugin, you can always get it developed for a very reasonable price.
- Customization: WordPress is super customizable. From layouts, features, themes, plugins, you name it. This gives you the ability to have a website which is unique, yet powered by a powerful CMS. A lot of themes and plugins for WordPress are freely available and you would not be disappointed.
- Community & Support: Another big reason to use WordPress is the support behind the product. There is a huge community of WordPress developers and enthusiasts, who are ready to take on a problem and find a solution. If you run into a problem, you are literally a Google search away from finding a solution. If you are even in a situation where you are unable to find a feature or if you want something very specific, you can always hire a WordPress developer to develop a plugin for a very reasonable price.
- Security: WordPress’s popularity also makes it a big target and it faces constant attacks from hackers and spammers alike. Since anyone can develop WordPress themes and plugins, and if those are not properly coded, they can expose your website to hacks. Also, all WordPREss themes, plugins and core itself require regular updates, which are often fixes for issues and vulnerabilities and it is important to keep WordPRess updated.
- performance: Performance can be another issues faced by some WordPREss websites. Since wordpress can have a lot of plugins and features, it can easily become bloated, which affects the loading time of your websites. Plus, it eats up lot of your web hosting resources. It is better to keep it optimized, otherwise you might be constantly upgrading your web hosting package for more resources.
So overall WordPRess is a great CMS, but not without problems. However, if you can manage to keep those issues in check or work with someone who can keep your wordpress updated and optimized, you should be more than okay. We at AKWEB also provide maintenance packages to keep your website up and running, feel free to get in touch.